HOW TO GET RID OF
ELECTORAL VOTE CHEATING
You see it every election year: The states cheat by doing things to control the electoral
votes used to elect the president. They do all of the following wrongs:
- The government gives all of the electoral votes to one candidate (winner take all).
- The defective Plurality Voting System (vote for only one) is used for voting. It unfairly
favors the candidate most different from the others, while disfavoring candidates who are
very similar to other candidates.
How can we stop electoral vote cheating?
- This must be done:
- Prohibit the factors that allow the cheating.
How can this be achieved?
- Three things must be done:
- Prohibit by law the handing of all electoral votes to one candidate (unless
that candidate wins all electoral districts).
- The Plurality Voting System (vote for only one) used in most places must be
- The electoral Independent Voting System (vote
each choice separately) must become law.
How does this work?
- The voter has 3 choices for each candidate: YES, NO, and ABSTAIN.
- The default if the voter does nothing is always ABSTAIN.
- On a lever machine, a three position control is used for each candidate (at right).
- Each paper ballot candidate has YES and NO check boxes.
- Checking neither or both check boxes is ABSTAIN.
- Computer ballots, like paper ballots, would have YES and NO buttons for each
- There is no interlocking of votes between candidates.
- Each candidate's score is his YES votes minus his NO votes.
- The candidate with the highest positive score wins the district.
With the Plurality Voting System, a vote with no YES vote for an office is not
counted at all.
With the Independent Voting System, all votes except ABSTAIN votes are counted:
- Voting NO for one candidate does not mean that the voter must vote YES for another.
- The electors must vote what their individual districts voted.
- The Electoral College must use independent voting too.
- The winner for president is the candidate with the highest positive electoral score.
- The winner for vice president has the second highest positive electoral score.
Thus, the Independent Voting System can prevent electoral vote cheating when used