THE ULTIMATE SLOPE EQUATION
Here is the ultimate slope equation:
- Slope = The amount of tilt of a line
- m = The symbol for slope
- (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) = Calculation of the slope from two points
- rise / run = Empirical definition of slope
- % grade is slope, when the percentage is converted to a decimal
- Δy / Δx = The change in y, divided by the change in x
- ∂y / ∂x = A differential is a slope
- Dx = The derivative of a function is its instantaneous slope
- The tangent of the angle of the line is its slope.
- sin θ / cos θ = The trigonometric version of the rise divided by the run.
The derivative of the slope-intercept form of a line is the slope of that line:
Dx(mx + b) = m